Sunday, April 17, 2016

Gemstone Engagement Rings

I ran into a recently-engaged girlfriend of mine the other day, and we ended up talking about the sudden surge of pregnancies and engagements amongst our friends. I don't personally have any experience with having babies, but I do know a thing or two about engagements and weddings, and you all know that I LOVE to share my wisdom on the topic.

The road to wedded bliss starts with one very important event... the proposal! You can read all about Miles' proposal to me right here. The majority of the time, a proposal includes a diamond ring. Here in the U.S., most women start eyeing the type of ring they'd like as soon as they have access to Pinterest. I was one of those women. What set me apart was my disinterest in diamonds and my love for colored gemstones.

I've found that few women know much about colored gemstones or what a wonderful alternative they are for the now very-traditional diamond. I thought it would be fun to share a little insight about the benefits of opting for a colored gemstone engagement ring.

Before we begin, for those of you who don't already know, Miles did NOT pick out my engagement ring. We worked closely with a jeweler to have my ring designed and custom-made. I tend to be very picky about jewelry, and Miles and I both felt that it would be safer if I helped him to design the ring. A lot of people ask me whether or not this ruined the surprise of being proposed to. The answer is absolutely not. I knew that the ring was being made and that Miles was making regular payments on it. However, I had no idea when he would be done making the payments or when the ring would actually be in his hand. Because of this, I essentially had to forget about the fact that the ring was being made and go about my regular business. When he did propose, I was completely shocked, and I cried and practically fell to my knees. Your fiancé can definitely maintain the element of surprise even if you know that he (or she) is buying a ring.



My beautiful wedding set

So what's so wonderful about colored gemstones? Well, everything!

1. Cost effective. Colored gemstones tend to be much less expensive than diamonds. It's difficult for me to give you a solid example, because gemstones range in price based off of a number of things, including color, carat, cut, and clarity. These measurements get particularly confusing very easily. First off, the specific gravity of gemstones and diamonds differ. Sapphires, for example, have a higher specific gravity than diamonds. Therefore, a 1 carat sapphire will appear smaller than a 1 carat diamond, and my 2.5 carat sapphire ring looks more like a 2 carat diamond ring might. Gemstones are also cut to showcase their beautiful and vivid colors, while diamonds are cut to highlight their transparency. Because it is extremely hard to make comparisons between stones, I'll just share this for reference: my engagement ring which includes a 2.54 carat faint pink, cushion cut sapphire (remember that this is more equivalent to a little under a 2 carat diamond in size) and 42 average G-H, SI1-2, 0.34ctw diamonds in 14k white gold is worth $3,0009.90. I dare you to find a diamond engagement ring of similar size for that price on the market. If you do, BUY IT!


2. Rarity. There's no denying the beauty of a diamond--that's why every girl wants one. We've been told that diamonds are a rarity, further increasing the desire to own them. But have you ever stopped and wondered why there are so many diamonds out there if they're as rare as they say? Well you're smart to wonder, because diamonds truly aren't that rare at all. De Beers has been restricting the supply of diamonds to the public since the 1930s in order to keep prices high and demand up. Clearly, these tactics have worked. Sapphires are actually thought to be up to 4 times more rare than diamonds. Rubies and emeralds are other gorgeous gemstones that are considered to be rare. So if it's rarity you seek, you may want to consider a colored gemstone.


3. All the pretty colors. We all know how much of a sucker I am for a black and white palette, but I have a love for color as well. I remember being on Pirates of the Caribbean as a little girl and wishing I could jump off the boat and bathe in the piles of treasure. My mom would always let me buy those cheap little plastic gems that you put in the black, drawstring bag. I loved all of the pretty colors and delighted in picking them out one by one. So it's no wonder that I wanted a colored gemstone in my engagement ring. I don't consider myself to be attention-seeking, but it's always nice when someone sees my ring for the first time and is surprised to discover that it's not a white diamond (it's a very faint pink/lavender color). It's definitely a conversation starter.


Now don't get me wrong--gemstones have their downsides, too. Diamonds are incredibly strong and scratch resistant. However, they are subject to chipping, especially in princess and heart cuts where the diamond is pointed. They also tend to stay cleaner longer and require less regular care to maintain their brilliance. Sapphires, on the other hand, are just next to diamonds in terms of hardness and strength but are much more likely to scratch. They also get dirty very quickly, often making the stone appear cloudy. Because of this, I'm careful to clean my stone with a toothbrush, dish soap, and water regularly. The way I see it is if a sapphire was good enough for Princess Diana, it's certainly good enough for me.


(I've clearly been scratching off my nail polish all day)

My gorgeous wedding set was designed and created by the wonderful artists at Laurie Sarah. They are a pleasure to work with and are super conscious of your every need and desire as a client. I highly encourage you to give them your business.

What do you think? Would you consider an alternative engagement stone? Let me know your thoughts below!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, really admirable and impressive designing patterns for the engagement rings. Thank you very much for the share. Kalpana Srikaanth | Pancharatna gems Coimbatore

    ReplyDelete