Sunday, January 24, 2016

Product Review: Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner and Flat Eye Liner Brush

As promised, I'm back with my review of the incredible Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner and Flat Eye Liner Brush! I'm so head over heels for both of these products. They're the perfect pair.

Everyone knows that I'm a sucker for a good cat eye. I will never give up my bold (and sometimes ridiculous) eye liner. However, I do like to tone things down occasionally and go for a more natural look, especially when it's going to be a long work day, or I'm heading to the beach for the afternoon. Tightlining is the PERFECT way to achieve gorgeous eyes without going overboard.

Because this is a product review and not a tightlining tutorial, I won't be going over how to tightline in detail. If you don't know much about the technique and are interested in learning more, I recommend this video.

Okay, a little bit about the product! The Tightline Cake Eye Liner retails for $25 and can be purchased via Laura Mercier's website. I purchased mine at Sephora for the same price. (Note that Sephora carries fewer shades than the Laura Mercier website.) The eye liner comes in a small compact with a mirror for the gal on the go. I purchased the Black Ebony shade.



The liner itself comes in cake form and feels and looks more like a shadow than a liner until you have activated the product. More on that in just a second. The cake can be removed and added to a custom compact if you feel so inclined.

The Flat Eye Liner Brush is the perfect tightlining brush. Its bristles fit between your lashes with ease, resulting in a beautiful tightline that requires minimal effort. It's a bit pricey at $25 but absolutely worth the cost. If you love to tightline, you must invest in this brush!



Now, in order to activate the eye liner formula, wet the tip of the brush with water and create a paste with the liner. It doesn't take much water to make a paste, so be careful on your first try. Then tightline as usual. If you're a first timer, just know that tightlining can be a difficult technique to master. However, I can assure you that you'll catch on quickly and will have far fewer ugly cries than when you were first learning how to do a cat eye.

The Tightline Cake Eye Liner lasts all throughout the day and does not transfer to your bottom lid. It goes on smoothly and can be used to create a bold lined eye, if your heart so desires. I haven't put it through the cry test, but I have a feeling it will hold up nicely. The Flat Eye Liner Brush is easy to clean, and the bristles have held up well after multiple washes. I absolutely adore these products and will be repurchasing as soon as necessary!

And now for the look! Please know that I've had a ongoing allergic reaction to an unknown aggressor recently, so my eyelids have been red, puffy, and dry from the swelling. (Hence why this product review has been on deck for a while.) Luckily, they're pretty tame this morning, so I was finally able to get some decent photos. Remember to click the photos to enlarge them and get a better look at the tightlined effect.

Clean palate with only a tinted lotion and powder



After adding a little shadow to my eyes and brows



Right eye tightlined (notice how much thicker my lashes look on the tightlined eye)





Both eyes tightlined


And there you have it! Awesome, right? Let me know if you like to tightline or if you're going to attempt it for the first time after reading this review. With these products in hand, you won't be disappointed with the results! And if you're wondering about my stupendous mascara, yay! That review is coming soon!

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment